Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baking Bliss

So I know the holidays have kind of come and gone, but for me, they don't stop well into mid-january. There are two reasons for this. One, my birthday is January 13th (tomorrow!) and two, I reside in snowy syracuse for the majority of December and January, with no school. Therefore, I find it no surprise that I am still in the spirit come the end of January. On that note, one thing I really enjoy doing around the holidays is baking. My favorite thing to bake? Cupcakes. I usually indulge with the standard "vanilla on vanilla". However, lately my obsession has been with red velvet. I obtained a Betty Crocker Holiday Baking magazine around Christmastime, and I finally tackled the Red Velvet Cupcake recipe with one of my good friends from home. I did most of the mixing, while she focused on the frosting. The result? Delicious.



I couldn't find the exact recipe online, so here is the one I went by through the magazine:

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 bottle (1 oz) red food color
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

1. Heat oven to 350. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In small bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until mixed. Add eggs; beat 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in food color and vanilla. Om low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake roughly 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool before applying frosting!

The frosting recipe I used which was also in the magazine can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment