Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dorms and Desks: A little inspiration.

One of the things I like about living in a dorm is, being able to make a space away from home feel a little like my own. I would have to say that my favorite part of my room (well maybe apart from my comfy bed) is my desk. A desk can really become personalized and say a lot about a person. When I returned to school from my winter vacation, I noticed that my desk definitely needed dusting and a little bit of organization. Cleaning my desk was invigorating and maybe even therapeutic. 

There are several items on my desk that make it "mine".

1. Koozies. I actually don't use them for drinks, but as pencil holders and a toothbrush/toothpaste holder. I got one for free my freshman year, and another one from my school's bookstore for pretty cheap. I like using them for these things because a.) I am too lazy to reach into my desk or sift through my backpack to find a pen, and b.) I never knew where to put my toothbrush and toothpaste before. They used to be just strewn across my desk. But now, using a koozie provides for a little more organization. 



2. My Pet Cactus. I don't do well with fish. I hate cleaning their tanks, and they never seem to want to eat the food I put in the water for them. Although I think beta fish can sometimes look pretty, especially when placed in a nice aquatic environment, they really provide for no other entertainment. Needless to say, most of the fish I have had in the past have lived short lives. The best kind of pet for a busy person or someone who is often forgetful? A cactus. The one I have has pretty flowers on the top, and it rarely needs to be watered. It's easy to take care of, and it brings life to my room.



3. Words of Inspiration. Positive sayings are great to have posted around your desk or other places where you frequently see them. The positive sayings I have are on two separate pages I tore out of the magazine Whole Living.  Sandwiched in between them is a beautiful photograph of different colored roses from the magazine Martha Stewart Living. You can really find a lot of inspiration in the pages of magazines.

Some of the quotes include:

"Optimism isn't just a shift in perspective. It's an act of bravery."


"Take the guilt out of pleasure. Sometimes the thing you want the most is just what you need."


"Invest in experiences, not just objects."


"Don't over-think: Some happy moments are best left unanalyzed."





No comments:

Post a Comment