Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Toga, toga, toga.

So I'm not exactly done with finals, but I've already "checked out", if you know what I mean. I actually didn't have any "real" finals this semester, just a drawing portfolio to hand in and an art history paper that's due on friday. Despite my lack of work to do, I still feel like I have been bogged down and have hardly had a break! I went home last week for a night to drop off a bunch of my stuff from school, and then I had one more full day here and then I was off to CB's graduation. I was back to school sunday for an afternoon practice, and I just feel busy busy busy! I can't believe I only have a couple more days left in this semester. I leave on thursday morning for a race in Philadelphia and shortly after, MC and I are going to my grandparent's condo in florida for a little vacation. I can't wait! It will be a great start to the summer. Afterwords, I'm going to visit CB at his family's house. Then I'm back at home, working and coaching!

I am sad to leave Saratoga Springs for the summer though. It is such a beautiful area. Last summer I was so ready to be home, but I really am going to miss it this summer. This year I've done even more exploring in the area, and there is still so much to learn! I love going to college in such a great location. Saratoga Springs is located in the heart of New York state. It's 3 hours from New York City, 3 hours from Boston, and 3 hours from Montreal.

The town has great restaurants and shops. I wish I could eat out every night! Saratoga Springs is so historical too. We're home to the Saratoga Race Track where prestigious horse races have been happening since the 1800s! Horse racing is "the oldest organized sporting venue of any kind in the U.S." (via).  I took this picture when I went to the track last summer with CB and his family. It was an amazing experience!


There is also history in the lake that I row on! Rowing is the oldest collegiate competitive Sport in the United States. This is surprising because a lot of people still don't really know what rowing is. The very first crew race took place on Saratoga Lake during the mid 1800s between crews such as Harvard and Yale, teams that are still very competitive and prestigious today. I've been rowing in Saratoga Since my freshman year of high school, and it's still one of my favorite courses to race on! This is a picture of the boat I raced in my senior year of high school. This is just before we shoved off from the dock at one of our races. I'm the only one turning my head to the side (of course).


Anyway, this is just a tiny portion of some of the important things to me about Saratoga Springs. I'm hoping to share more in a later post! And stay tuned for my summer plans ;-)

Have you guys been feeling super busy as well? What are your plans for the summer? Do you guys have a lot of pride for the town or city that you currently reside in? Fill me in!

Always,
Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never knew that much about Saratoga Springs. Lucky you are so close to Montreal!!

    ReplyDelete